Tuesday, April 20, 2010

There I'll be...

“I've been in Perth for about a month now and haven't been able to get work. I was told that it wasn't that difficult but the minute anyone hears that I'm on a working holiday visa they don't want to know. I've mainly been trying for office work, kitchen hand or retail work. Recruitment agencies don't seem to be that good. I've sent out so many cvs and am really trying everything I can.

 I've trained as a graphic designer at home and have different types of work experience behind me but I don't know what I'm doing wrong, is it me or are other people finding it hard as well or maybe I'm just being too impatient?”

 

Reply;

 

“It's hard everywhere... I've applied for over a hundred jobs but have only heard back from ten of them... five nos, four interviews and one job (which is one night a week in a nightclub) One refused to interview me because I had no qualifications or experience... even when I clearly had what they stated and more... I wondered if they even read my resume... One of the interviews called me yesterday and said they were impressed with me and I had almost gotten the job except the last person who was interviewed was just that much more experienced...”

 

 

THIS .. is what I’m reading. Over and over again about the jobs in Australia.

 

I’ve never been too big on the “taking risks” aspect of life. I never tried out for sports or plays. I almost went to college for Graphic Design but found out that it was very competitive and hard so I went for “safe” dental hygiene. I almost did “travel hygiene” to make a lot of money but went for Chicago instead.. where I was close to home and knew people and where it was stable (still scary but I went with a job and a home lined up). I went to community college instead of a university not because I wanted to, but because it was smart. Of course now I am reaping the benefits of that, most of my “non risk-taking” has made my life better, but like I said, I’ve never taken too many risks so I don’t know. Risks… in general.. are not considered “smart”. That’s why they are called risks. But some risks, when you are following your gut.. are brilliant.

 

“… it's hard everywhere…”

 

I leave soon. I’m giving up my life, my job, my home.. and this is what supposedly lies ahead for me. My brain is screaming at me about the lack of judgment I have on this. There is no logic to support the sacrifice I am making.  The whole point of this initially was to live what others are calling “The Australian dream”, and also what some are saying .. is dead.

 

The thing is, I can’t turn back now. What was all the fuss about then? Why have all the dreams and poems and conviction just to turn away now just because it’s getting a little scary? Isn’t this what “risk” entails anyways? What is bravery without some fear and sacrifice? The prince doesn’t just walk up a couple steps to rescue the princess and live happily ever after.. he wrestles through haunted forests and battles fierce dragons to get to the other side. And he never gives up. Once again, this is part of the deal. I keep searching the internet for someone to say, “HERE, here is your answer!! I can GUARENTEE you a job for 6 months that will allow you to live in Sydney AND save for another 6 months backpacking Australia. Congratulations!!!!”

 

But that doesn’t exist. This is a risk that I am taking. This is my once in a life-time trip. I can go and see and stay or not stay or go somewhere else or not go somewhere else. I can do whatever I want. The thing about life is you keep moving forward; you eventually make a home, and fall in love, and have a family. I want those things. But those things are also a “no looking back” investment. Once those things happen, I can no longer drop everything and move across the world. This is my chance. And I can say now, I am taking a chance and hoping with all that I am that it's worth it. As I type these words, I can’t help but smile. How can it not be worth it? I am going! I am moving to Australia. Maybe it’ll accept me, maybe it won’t. But even being out there a month, and knowing for the rest of my life that I went and I gave it my all, will be worth every sacrifice, every penny. So here I am, and there I’ll be. 

Cross my fingers, pray to God, there I’ll be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment