Thursday, March 25, 2010


"The dreamers are the saviors of the world... Composer, sculptor, painter, poet, prophet, sage, these are the makers of the after-world, the architects of heaven. The world is beautiful because they have lived; without them, laboring humanity would perish.
Those who cherish a beautiful vision, a lofty ideal in their hearts, will one day realize it. 
Cherish your visions; cherish your ideals; cherish the music that stirs in your heart, the beauty that forms in your mind... if you remain true to them, your world will at last be built. 
The thoughtless, the ignorant, the lazy... talk of luck, of fortune.. Seeing someone grow rich, they say, "How lucky they are!!"
They do not see the trials and failures and struggles that these men and women have voluntarily encountered in order to gain their experience; they have no knowledge of the sacrifices they have made... the faith they have exercised.. that they might overcome the apparently insurmountable and realize the vision of their heart.
The vision you glorify in your mind, the ideal that you enthrone in your heart - this you will build your life by, and this you will become."   As You Think by James Allen (*Originally "As a Man Thinketh" )

Written over 100 years ago in 1904, this book has become my harbor, my bible if you will. Its' words ring with power and truth, and have given inspiration and motivation to the masses through some very complicated years in this country and throughout others. 

I have a love affair with books. People often ask me, "Why don't you just go to the library??". Yes, that would be wise. I thought the other day about guesstimating how much money I've spent on books, but the number would be meaningless in comparison to the insight and joy I've received from them in return. I want to be surrounded by books, I want to feel their words, dream their dreams. Books take you into another world, they can open your eyes, touch your heart. I love their smell, I love the feel of their pages on my fingertips. I've thought about getting one of those electronic books, and you can just download the pages onto your equipment and off you go! No thanks. I need to feel the weight of its words, the influence of its truth; hold it in my hands and decorate my home with its' life. 

I look forward to days and years ahead as this affair continues, and possibly a book with my very own name on it. I'm not quite sure what I'll say throughout hundreds of pages that will make it a success, but I don't doubt for a second that it will come to me. I can feel it in the depth of my cells. It's in my blood. I write every day, it's my passion; stories, craving, obsession, words, life. I want to breathe fire into my message and touch the lives of others with its' vibrant enthusiasm. I believe one day this will no longer be a dream. 

One of my patients is a celebrated artist here in Chicago and also in New York. She rid of her last name and just has one, very long, name. She is eccentric and electric and original and every time she comes in I ask her 'one more time' to explain her art. I don't really understand it but what I did understand was her definition and opinion of art. She says to me, "Art is nothing more than creating something that allows its viewers to see something in a light they have never considered before." 

"Where do you come up with your art? What is your inspiration?" I ask her. 
She shrugs and replies, "Its a deep need." 

I understand completely.

 I just renewed my lease for 90 days. I buy my RTW ticket in a couple weeks. Walking though the city I thought to myself, "My God, this is actually happening.."

I have never felt stronger about anything. This is really happening. I think back at all the years of denial and laugh. Really, when it comes to dreams, how could a spirit this strong be extinguished?


No comments:

Post a Comment