Saturday, March 27, 2010

my world on my shoulders...



Today I decided that I needed to do a test run. I have my packing list, I have my 75 L backpack; time to see how much STUFF this sucker can pack in. I mean…LOOK AT IT!

It’s HUGE! All these people who’ve “been there done that” all say, “pack what you would need for every possible situation, for ONE day. One of each. ONE of EACH?!?! Yeah. Right. That person probably looked like a backpacker. I refuse to look like a backpacker. Gapyear.com says to “forget the hairdryer and straightener, only pack essential makeup”. Never in my life. I’m sorry, but people judge you on your appearance. You judge others on their appearance. I refuse to be walking around the romantic streets of Paris in cut-off capris and my hair in a sloppy bun because I can’t do anything else with it. So that’s that. I’m bringing my damn hairdryer. Try and stop me.

 

So this is my pack with MOST of what was on my list. What in the HELL happened??? Where did all that space go?!? (*insert pouty face here). So I took jeans and micro fleece off my list, but everything else stays, so help me god. The pack weighs 32 lbs. My whole life is in that pack. I couldn’t help but feel a little nervous and Closter phobic when I clicked the waist band around me.  32 lbs may not sound like much, but I’m telling you, it's heavy.  Ok, if you were curious, here is my list.

 

I pair of shorts                                                                                                                              1 yoga pants, 1 beach shorts

1 pair of capris                                                                                                                              1 big/sleeping tee

7 dresses (two beach “cover-ups”)                                                                        1 shower/beach flops

2 night/cocktail dresses                                                                                                            1 walking flops (nice ones)

5 tops, 1 black with sleeves                                                                                          1 hiking shoes

1 jacket                                                                                                                                                1 heels                 

1 nice scarf

 

1 travel towel                                                                                                                              1 umbrella                 

1 poncho                                                                                                                              day purse/ cocktail purse

7 pairs underwear                                                                                                            1 black bra

2 socks (one thick/long)                                                                                                            1 nude/strapless bra

2 swimsuits                                                                                                                              1 sports bra

 

med kit

earplugs, flashlight, watch with alarm

toiletry bag (which is big and HEAVY)

Bug spray with DEET

 

HAIRDRYER                                                                                                                              pillowcase

Jewelry bag                                                                                                                              silk sleep sak

Electric converter +plugs                                                                                                            carry-on bag

Bag cover +lock                                                                                                                              cameras and gorilla pod

Cards                                                                                                                                                 book to read

Notebook                  travel organizer+copies+extra passport photos

 

 

How about THAT for a list!!! I have to bring that amount of dresses because they pack up small and will be my major clothing items. So that’s it, and it ALL fits.. (barely). Souvenirs will be collected at each stop and sent home when they start taking up room.

 

 I walked around my apartment with the pack on for a while. It was quite the sight to see! If I leaned backwards at all I thought I would topple over. (don’t worry grandma, I’ll be getting plenty of massages in Thailand!!) It felt like I had a very large monkey wrapped around my back. 32 lbs… 32 lbs of my life, on my back, for the next … 6 months. Hopefully after that I’ll have a place to call home in Australia for a while and can unpack my bags and put up my feet for a while. Who knows though, that could happen anywhere! The world is my oyster J

No comments:

Post a Comment